Friday, February 20, 2009

Erwin Schrott sings Votre Toast... (Prepare to be swooned



Erwin Schrott at Dresden's Semper-Opernball.

Too bad, those militaristic German chorus can't be like Spanish crowd at bullfighting arena or lawdy Spanish Cantina where tobacco factory workers/ soldiers and gypsies gather.

Escamillo telling his tale as a Toreador just came back from his triumphant arena, and Schrott does just that. He is not in the costume since this was opera ball, but one cannot picture him anything other than the most popular toreador in Seville.

I'm telling you, I have heard more than 20 versions of this aria, and I have seen performance on stage, and some video recordings close to another 10 of them. I'm not sure if the Schrott's latin temperament or his acting skills, that makes this Escamillo comes alive. I rarely see the stage actors/opera singers or even stage performers who could coax the audience from four sides. (I'm sorry but rock band just staring straight up does nothing for me. LOL)
Schrott's natural ability to include every single soul in the house is just his gift. Some learns as the craft of their profession. For Erwin Schrott, that is where his heart belongs.

Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment