Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I feel nauseous and light headed... from textbook price......

I think I can justify making a rant on this particular subject.

It is just fucking outrageous. Can anyone explain that to me?

I had to shop around for over 8 outlets, both online and physical stores.

12 textbooks. About half of them used. 2 books are semester rental.  I paid for my English textbook only 3.79$ from used textbook store, which my college bookstore sells the same book for 52 $.
Grand total of 471$..........

Let's put that into perspective, shall we?
The grand total of tuitions and fees for this semester is 476 $ Of which, 442$ is for myself. My son's account only needs to be paid 34$ (He receives grants for tuitions.)

So, textbooks cost more than the education itself...
***********
It doesn't include any of  my music lesson related costs, either. Many of the sheet music costs anywhere from 12$ up to 55$ average, (many are imported editions from Germany or other Euro country) so I'm no stranger to paying a lot of money for books. Even so...
***********

At least, I can honestly say that my son nor myself would drop out or withdraw from any of the class. But I feel for the parents of those students who do drop out from classes for the reason of sheer laziness.

*******************
Speaking of my college...
I'm happy to announce that I will be officially a tutor for my college music department. It should pay for my coffee cost. lol  Yea. it's a paid position, and I get to have individual music lab. Hey, part-time adjunct faculty don't even have their own office, so I am not complaining.  Music lab has iMac and a piano. I can practice my piano if I'm not busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment