Saturday, December 10, 2011

Consipiracy of William Huang

I am not sure if this subject is in any way related to SL, but I have to wonder this phenomenon is anything to do with current culture.

The notriety of American Idol contenstant, William Huang is something that is really odd to me.

These people are incapable of acknowledging their actual capabilities in the certain subject.


First, I thought it was William Huang's conspiracy to stir up a controversy, in order to fund himself his college education which he suceeded. UC Berkeley Engineering student cannot be incapable of understanding his own capabilities, otherwise, he wouldn't have succeeded to be a good student with remarkable academic accomplishment.
One needs to be able to reflect your own ability, and strive to make oneself better. So it does not make any sense that Huang does not know his lack of musical ability.

... Anyways, then look what he has done to American population...

Yesterday, a student came into my music lab, asking for help on her final performance piece on her beginner piano class. She says she need "a little help to find out her hand position."

First of all, there are no "hand position in piano". Maybe in string instruments such as violin or guitar, that you could say it is a first postition or hand in 5th fret position or whatever. But Piano, there are no set position.
Which alarmed me that she must have missed a lot of class, and at this point, Friday before the final, it worried me.

She showed me the piece, so I asked her to play it for me.

What happened next is just made me almost scream. She started to look at her score and tried to figure which note she should play.  Without making a note on the piano, I had to stop her.

"I am sorry, I don't know how to tell you this, but I don't think you will be able to play this piece by Tuesday as your final. You look like you have never played this piece, and at your level, it will take another year or so to be able to play this. "

Obviously, this student was misguided by their instructors and her parents. Her reply was unbelievable and I have to congratulate myself for not throwing her out right away, while keeping my composure.

"But no one will be able to instantly play, and I am not that level."

Fucking obvious. I know exactly how Simon Cowell felt when he heard William Huang protested that he never received professional training.


I tried to be calm and went on to explain it to her.

"I am sure you are talented musician, and you are correct that no one would be able to do that, (Some can, but for the sake of the argument) that is why we practice for hours, days, to be able to play the piece. Especially the beginner like yourself needs some preparation to perform this on final. "

Now she tries to challenge me by saying...

"I got an A on mid term although I missed first few weeks of the classes. My teacher gave me this piece last Tuesday. And I played this piece long time ago, so I can play this, if I practice. "

OH Great, then, you don't need my help.


You know what? Fuck those stupid "Self Esteem education" okay?
Teach them to value making your own effort, and and reward them for their achievement and accomplishment.  
Those  curriculaum which "everyone can get a sticker" for their unsbustantiated/empty self confidence is nothing but a hindrance to their future. 


My last words for the student?


"You need to acknowledge your own ability now, in order to make yourself better.  You have  quite a way to get to where you want to be, and I cannot make you a better musician in 4days. I am not really sure what your instructor have told you the standard of expectation for the final piece, but any music instructor I know in this school does not accept your performance as a passable level. You should have prepared. Good luck for your final. Practice a lot for next several days."




The professors can't help them, that is why they are sending them 5 days before the final to me ?And they expect me to fix delusional, untalented student? Something is wrong in this picture. 


Okay, I will tell it to them. I have no problem telling the truth. 






2 comments:

  1. And then the college degree becomes devalued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have the story for that subject as well.
    I will probably post it in the future.

    ReplyDelete