Monday, January 16, 2012

This is a real episode...

I am taking 17 full time units this semester, which does not include my two units in Mariachi study. 3 units are online, for music appreciation.

The online class consists of online quizzes, concert reports and discussion board posts. And today, my professor emailed me that I should taking "notch down" my post, so that I don't intimidate other students. She is blaming me that my depth of sophisticated post actually preventing other student to make their own posts. She went out to say that it is probably my fault that half of her students missed first deadline. Really?

She suggested that I should post public version of shorter post in Discussion, and I email my comprehensive version to her.
I told her I don't keep double books.

Okay, my post was thorough, but not offensive by any means. If nothing else, it was still humorous. It was academically insightful, accurate and used the terminology in precise manner, which she actually asked us to do. It was obviously written by someone with the years of experience in music.
And that is bad?
Isn't that the purpose of discussion board, so that you can learn from more experienced students?

I replied to her, I was never asked to dumb down my classroom comments in any courses, and there are always someone with different accomplishment levels, because this is college, not community center hobby class for seniors and toddlers.
If I was to take basketball class or swimming class, as good as I am, I will be still beaten by some 6 foot tall 18 year olds, however I tried. I'll be 48 in 5 months. I can swim 2 hours straight, but I can't finish 100 meters in  90 seconds anymore.
Are they supposed to slow down or miss their 3 pointer shot so the old Japanese elf won't feel so inferior? NO.  So why do I have to?

After that, she said she didn't mean to upset me. I wasn't upset. I was taken aback by her suggestion because it came from someone who knows what the real competitive academic environment is like. FFS, she and her husband has 3 degrees each. Her husband from Juliard, being the most competitive music school in the world. Did any of their professors ever told them to play less musically, so that less talented musicians won't be intimidated? I don't think so.

So she has 45 lazy ass bastards in her class who can't even keep the due date of their first assignment. And the reason is one of the student has posted much more sophisticated contents before anyone did?
Excuse me? Am I hearing this correctly?
I am so turned off by this.

She said we should speak in person, and I told her I agree. See what happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came from some elementary school teacher, that I should take down a notch when I'm speaking to a 5th graders about music. I understand that. And I would not have spoken in full academic terminology in the first place.

Not in college, though. She explained that she is worried she is the only one who is getting what I was saying. So what? Others just need to keep up.

  If I have to worry about whether my best is too good for a college course, where should I go?  







No comments:

Post a Comment