Saturday, November 22, 2008

La damnation d Faust

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx

Just came back from Live broadcasting Live in HD MET.

Rarely performed opera by Berlioz. *La damnation de Faust*, of this production, combined with multimedia and interactive technology which was not available 150 years ago. But I have to say, knowing the composer's character, he would be pleased with this production. (I would think if they were alive today, Liszt and Berlioz would be in Met together, immensely enjoying the performance themselves. )

I only knew couple of pieces from this opera (yes, because recordings are also rare) which one of them, are from Erwin Schrott's CD, and the other is the famous "Hungarian march (also known as Rákóczy march) that I had a chance to see the manuscript copy of the piece in Budapst Liszt Museum.
I was very lucky to see this exhibit, on the bicentenial celabration of Berlioz's birthday back in 2004. There were always the question of who composed this first between liszt's Hungaria rhapsody and Berlioz's Hungarian march... but I have to say, teenage Liszt was already fiddling with this melody long before this opera by Berlioz.

I know, no one would be interesting in anecdotes between Berlioz and Liszt, so I just leave it at the fact that they were close friends for decades.

As everyone already know, the subject of Faust/Mephistopheles, which i cannot ignore, paid particular attention to the role of Mephisto... John Relyea was... deliciously, devilishly handsome. He has also added the subtle but unmistakable comic values to the *evil* plotline, so I really loved his role. (his towering physical presence, also helped a lot. Check out the link on his name. ... he is hot.Another hot baritone found from MET.)

Marcello Giordani's Faust.. well, he is a typical twinkling *bel canto* tenor who could hit highest notes I have ever heard on tenor aria. (yea)
I'm not sure about French opera with twinkling italian tenor. I guess its okay, since those are the tenors they had back in 19th century. Just not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment