Sunday, August 17, 2008

A day as SL mentor... in noob island

Since the day I was rezzed in world at Orientation island, the process for noobs has been changed few times.

Now All of the Orientation islands are gone, and converted into Help island.


I think its better this way. They don't need two different island for initial orientations.

Usually, I will be summoned as Japanese linguist to help them early in the morning. (Evening time for Japanese ppl.)
Japanese noobs are polite so they rarely gives us any grief. But sometimes, they are so afraid of asking questions or bothering mentors, they are in a hurry to walk away even though they didnt understand the answer I gave them. LOL

Many mentors takes personally when noobs do not respond to greetings, but they are simply not realizing that anyone would talk to you in the first place.

I remember the first day, it took some courage to say hi to those total pixel strangers wearing mentor tags. But they match me with resident who would help me get started with basics. I still in touch with the dude. :) Now we do not introduce noobs to experienced residents. I wonder why.

LL is wondering what they can do to retain new residents, and they can't seem to find the solutions. Introducing noobs to similar interested experienced residents can be a great way to promote retention I think, but well. You know how they are.

I dont know. If I'm motivated enough to help LL, I might make a suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment