Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Good, Bad and Ugly... [Professor edition]

Today, I realized something good about my school. 

*********
The Good:

Many of the younger professors are actually very passionate and good. They sincerely wish to help their students. My last English professor, my anthropology professor, my geography professor, and my Italian professor whom I take a current course from. I know many classmates failed their classes, but they were fair, accessible and available as far as I could see. 
My Italian professor started with 35 students like any class, and the semester is half way over, I think the most of them are still in class, and actually seem to want to learn Italian in earnest. 

Her class is not easy, mind you. 
She has homework every single day, four days a week. She requires us to attend cultural events and do many research about Italian culture. We even have to a presentation about Italian culture. 
And each of the students who has participated so far, all actually did a great work. (!!!) I can tell, each individual put some thoughts and time into their choice of subjects. 

My professor was chosen as the instructor of the year, few semesters ago. And now I can see why. 

She is friendly, but not in a coddling way. She is pretty strict about classroom rules and behavior standard. Yet she is always encouraging her students in positive way, and elicit true desire to learn more.  

************
 
The Bad:

Such mean ass professors who calls their students names, uses put down to make themselves sound more important (obviously not knowing they are also making fool out of themselves, but yea) and with subtle mean words, undermining some of the sincere students' desire to learn the subject. 

I posted about this old Russian professor before, and apparently, he is not the only mean professor in this school.

Yesterday, one of my classmates from language class, almost in tears, that her Piano class instructor refuse to answer her question because it is not her day to ask.

I didn't understand this. "Not her day"  - My classmate explains that her instructor seem to allocate certain number of student per day, only allowing them to ask question. According to her, by the time she is allowed to ask, the questions has piled up and the instructor doesn't have time to answer any of them in detail.

I have never heard anyone designate certain number of students per day, and accepting questions from those and reject everyone else. You can only ask question every tenth days of the month?

This student, made an effort to go to the department office and tried to talk to someone there. THAT, I know it will not work, because the workers in that office are one of the most incompetent office workers I have ever seen... since my older son's elementary school administrator.

I have seen those professors before: stupid professor who thinks they are smarter than their students, and they think they can get away with being as bad as the worst students I always bitch about. LOL 
Unfortunately, those ASSHOLE professors are usually the older ones who get paid more. By getting rid of those old assholes, we could probably provide more service to those students who desperately need academic guidance, not more stupidity from their so called instructors.

***********

And the Ugly:


Today, I was talking to one of my friend, and his girlfriend stopped by. 

She told us that her French Professor called her classmate stupid and announced that he can call his students stupid or whatever the name he want, and dared them to go to the department office.

My response to both, my classmate and a girlfriend of my friend.

Girl, go to the office and talk to the department head professor, and file a complaint about their "unprofessional behavior, undermining student's will to acquire education."
Without anyone filing any complaint, school cannot do anything because there are no record of complaints from any student. Once the complaints start piling up, they can ask those mean ass professors to retire early.

***
That way, younger professors who are worthwhile and doing their job, will be able to get paid as much as they rightfully deserved.

***
I really don't care if the younger professors dressed more like some grad students than "professors".  They will probably invest in better set of wardrobe when they get paid like a professional. 




1 comment:

  1. I think I was lucky that I never had a professor like any of the "Ugly" ones and only maybe 1 or 2 of the "Bad" ones.

    I agree that the French teacher should be reported by as many people as possible. No one should be treated that way whether it be in school or professional career... and I experienced a CEO who acted this way constantly.

    I always loved my younger professors & TA's. Even hung out with a few of them outside of class. I think it's mainly a generation gap thing and how society is/was during different times that contributes to their teaching style.

    ReplyDelete