Sunday, June 8, 2008

Jack of all trades...

Jack of all trades, Master of none... my graceful title since ... as far as I can remember... Some polite people graciously calls it *talent*, but this has been a most miserable lament of my whole life. *smirks
And as such, I will be reminded of it almost every instant of my daily life.

For instance...It was sunny Saturday afternoon.

Books are one of my fetish. Bookstores always has the lure of whorehouse on Friday nights.
I just go to book store and walk around, browse, and usually end up buying one. Rarely I walk out without buying one.

Yesterday, I was looking for particular genre of particular title. I could not find it but I found *how to* for fantasy illustration. There are more than handful of similar titles on the shelves, but this particular title goes from basic drawing technique, supplies, mediums to digital art, even how to get inspirations, to how to organize as a professional.
Each subject is not even enough to cover everything, but it is very efficient for me to have this book. Since it shows the order of how to organize your creativity.
I have fair amount of practical knowledges about art/drawing itself, therefore this book will assist me with application of mediums.


No. I am not going to be a professional illustrator. (Once i entertained that idea some 25 + years ago. Not my thing. It requires me to have total solitude and I would never be in that position. ) But, it will still gives me an outlet/medium, and have some joy out of it.

There was a time that I went thru 4-5 sketch books and produced nearly 100 completed works. (Yes, every two to three days. Some are done in a day in a matter of three hours.) And I was churning out mediocre stuff that I do not even want to draw.
And after few years, I think I ran out of any inspiration or drive to create. At least I had another outlet called music, which gives instant gratification much more than drawing. So drawing/painting were put back in the shelves.

---So, now you know why and where my *Jack of all trade, master of none* title come from. You just cannot be on top of everything at the same time and persevere. when you are taking on one, the rest would take back seat, and the perpetual cycle of * flavor of the month* ...

Anyways.

I guess I would at least try to put my digital art equipment to use. I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment