Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Don Giovanni ~ Live from MET on sirius

So this is how addiction start...

I'm listening to Schrott as Don Giovanni on internet radio live broadcast.

Something I just can't have enough of it in my life... the dose of sweet baritone.

I am still plotting to see him somewhere in the future. Even though Valencia, Spain in Feb are just out of reach just because of few hours of time differences.

On the other hand, 12/14 Evening performance can be a possibility for me and my two young charges.
I am not sure if its a good thing to be taught at such a young age how to live excessively, or spend extravagantly just for the sake of one opeara (or one baritone)... Well. Yes. It is a good thing. The experience would last forever for them, a mere few grand for one weekend is a bargain, don't you agree?

Or since I already saw this production, save the money for awhile and wait for one of the performance in Europe?

what to do, what to do?

*****
Anyone who know me have heard me talking about anything related to piano, violin related works, but I have a thing for baritones and I have few CDs for Baritone lieders and Opera CD which featuring baritones as lead roles. (Don Giovanni is one of them)

Mattias Goerne, Thomas Hampson(America's leading baritone, he has Don Giovanni recording, also, has Met casting this season with La Flemming I believe.) Bryn Terfel has been my *Three Baritones/bass baritones* for more than ten years... (I'm not into tenors. I think its a matter of fetish.)

So, the discovery of Erwin Schrott is truely a special find for me.

Below is my dream sequence about Schrott's future...

His only recordings consists of opera arias, but I am hoping he will try his hand on German liders such as Schubert's song cycles... I really want to hear his *Die schöne Müllerin lieder *
This is written for tenor (or high voice) yet the story are about young men's life, mostly sung by men. Coincidentally, above baritone Goerne and Terfel also has recordings of selection from this song cycle. I think Schrott can deliver the subtlty of the Schubert as he is right now perfectly. Schrott is already familier with Romantic composer's works such as Berioz and Gounod, therefore it would not be a stretch for his style I suppose. (Do not get into the discussion/debate of why I think Schubert is a Romantic composer. I have my reasons.)

I am not able to think of great accompanist for his voice... hmmm that can be a quest, since I cannot name any concert pianists of this day who has Schubert as his/her repertoire. I am very picky about Schubert. Technically, not too challenging for any concert pianists, yet it forces one's artistic understandings of the comper and the art of its days. Schubert cannot be played just on the face of music book notes.

I guess Mitsuko Uchida, Emanuel Ax or Daniel Barenboim could be a fairly good choice. (According to his website, he will perform one of the opera under the batton of Barenboim in the near future. So it is not out of the blue combination.)

********
Anyways,

Why Don Ottavio can't do anything about Don Giovanni ... and why he can't understand Donna Anna's postponement of their weddings... LOL
I don't know why but eveytime I encounter this opera, it reminds me of people who says the right thing but can't deliver anything substantial in reality.
I don't think he is dumb, half - witted nor plain as he looks, but it just look that way and everyone will overlook this person. Sadly, the servant/valet, Leporello sounds more witted and smarter and looks more attractive than Ottavio. *shrugs* That happens. lol

Don Giovanni, does he deserve to be in Hell?

Not really.
Why everything has to be a moral story? Its life. Get over it. Well, in a way, that is way the title is *Don Giovanni* and not *Don Ottavio*...

********

4 comments:

  1. falls to my knees....
    ahhhhhhhhhh (jealous jealousssss)
    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. His aria *Deh! Vieni Alla Finestra* was as great as ever.

    We should plan a trip to Europe to see him in Germany or Austria!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! Ohhh yes!
    I discovered Mr. Schrott a year ago and I still can't believe the way he sounds and the way he moves * shivers *. On stage he's so full of energy and charisma that no matter if he's playing Giovanni or Leporello, he always delivers passionately! One gets swept away by his performances. Can't wait to get the Arias CD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to my obscure blog!!!

    OMG, I am totally recommend his aria CD. At least it would sustain your addiction till you can see his next performance... (I'm hoping.) If you like Gounod's Faust, his Mephisot's seranade is addictive. (His evil laugh gives me shivers... )

    I was not even plan to go that 10/4 MET performance!
    He was destined to be found!

    I am rarely get seduced.
    Not this time.

    ReplyDelete