Friday, April 3, 2009

One of very few entry about my RL...

If you are reading my blog, you already know, or at least you can make an intelligent guess that I like classical music to a certain depth.

The most of my boring real life consists of practicing piano or listening to those music through out the day. Therefore, naturally, the most of the very few outings are also classical music concerts/related events and operas.

This weekend, I was invited by a symphony musician to the concert of Mendelssohn. (The famous E minor Violin concerto and Italian Symphony) I would have posted music player from Jiwa.com, but they just restricted access from US because of the license issues... so if you want the sample music, please do your own research, maybe Amazon can provide you with plenty of samples.

I am looking forward to the Violin concerto, since I count this violin concerto as one of the three best Romantic Era violin concerto of all time, along with Beethoven's D major, and Bruch's No.1. (well, there are not that many... lol And I really don't count Paganini's violin concertos as *Romantic works* despite the era he was in. )

In his very short but eventful accomplished life, Mendelssohn established firm base layer of German classical music in general. His contribution is not limited to his productive composing career, but also in music education, establishing new theater/orchestral productions. If he did not revival Bach when he was 19 by the first performance of "St. Matthew's Passion" after the Bach's death, we might not aware of the greatness of Bach to this day. By the early 19th century, Bach was entirely forgotten and buried, unknown to the public. I believe that we owe it to him for reminding us about the one of the greatest legacy and an essence of humanity -music of Bach- left by the genius. Amazingly, he had done all these from late in his teens to early 20s.

Anyways, these concerts are for my enjoyment as well as for the part of *the grooming process* of my two boys.
It is not just about the education, because I really hate to make this as an *education*. Music is supposed to be an enjoyment, and if theya re able to enjoy these performance, their life would be richer for it.

I just do not understand the notion in US, that classical music is somewhat snobby, and attract snarky comments such as "Oh, I am not THAT cultural nor educated..."
LOL It is apparent that many are missing the whole point.

I doubt that my boys would be a president of the United States, but they won't be intimidated by the protocols of meeting the Queen of England. lol Not that I teach the protocols of official business, but they are all derived from the tradition of court protocols and manners. Just because we don't have Royals, courts and aristocratic ranks, doesn't mean you don't have to know the manners and protocols, where it came from.

For instance, attending evening performance or Saturday matinee... what would we wear? My boys are taught about dress code prescribed by traditional protocols. I tell them not to be *ignorant rule-breaker*. In order for you to know when, where and how to break the rules, you really have to know and well versed in every situations.

That cannot be learned an hour before the events. They are all my responsibility as a parent to *groom them* to be the smart cosmopolitans in the future.
That is not even about sending them to an ettiquette classes or giving them protocol books.

I have seen many adults simply intimidated by the formal place setting at the table, preventing them from enjoying the meal, or their ignorance utterly apprent, preventing others to enjoy the otherwise exquisitely prepared meal. How sad is that?
(and some - there always be one- that bragging the knowledge of ettiquette and preaching everyone at the table. LMAO Fake ass. The real people with class who are smartly educated would not make others feel inadequate at the table. )

Since I didn't graduate from college nor accomlished in anything, so I can't really say that I am educated. However, I have to say I am fortunate that I was groomed well by my parents.

********
We won't be wearing tuxedoes to the performance. But my boys would know what they should know if that occasion was specified, and how to break the rules when the occasion were called for.
Following every rule to a T, is one thing. Being able to break the rule is quite another. It takes more than knowing the rule.

Don't be an ignorant, if you want to break the rule.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with you. I have a nine year old boy and we’re slowly teaching him how to be a gentleman. Well, at least the basics. Such as holding the door open for a lady, pulling a chair out at dinner table, he walks around to open car doors. Sadly, I think it’s a lost art. And, yes, one day I’d like him to introduce classical music because it certainly doesn’t hurt to have a well-rounded education and not just academic.

    Anyway, Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Noir,

    I think the entry was made before the event.
    I felt very proud inside when we received many comments of approval from fellow concertgoers.

    You may guess that they are mostly very experienced in all matters of life. *wink*

    One gentleman made a point to tell my younger one that he liked the tie. Twice. (they know these type of encouragement enhance the self esteem of young people.)

    Got many approving smiles and nods.

    Lady who is a volunteer usher praised him of being absolutely quiet, respectful without fidgeting.
    She also made a point to call both of the boys *young gentlemen*.

    And Yes. The door.

    Both boys always hold the door for other people.
    In fact, younger one learned it naturally from his big brother. I never taught him and surprised me he went back to hold the door for a young mother with carriage. He was barely 6 and door was definitely too heavy for him at the time. But I didnt help him.
    He gained an experience as a responsible, contributing citizen of his own that day. :)

    ReplyDelete