Thursday, April 17, 2008

Benefit for *me*, fundraiser/auction... STFU

I do not participate in *Fund-raisers* *Donation for the benefit of whatever* *Charity auction*... in SL..?

I wasn't born yesterday.

The same dude I wrote about yesterday, asked me "You don't believe in charity?" with sneering tone, as if his righteousness is godly and me, some uneducated brute...(Well, un-educated part is true, but. ) I started to laugh.

"Au contraire, mon ami. I do... I just don't do hand outs to make myself feel better.

... And whilist I do not like to talk about my RL, i compelled to tell you that I volunteer weekly, and make monetary contributions to two local non profit organization annually. Of course, I check them out thoroughly, and check their operations as well.
I very much doubt, with few exceptions, that I can do the same in SL. There are no accountability of the people running the fund-raisers in SL. Even registered well known non-profit organizations such as American Red Cross, sometimes has wrong doings or misconduct by the administrator, and I know for a fact, that although the most are legitimate, there are some *personal bank accounts of the administrator* disguised as a NPO,as well."

See?

I did a lot for Relay for Life in SL, last year. But mostly the donation of my worktime and my products. I donated money to Relay for Life online site and I have obtained tax deductible receipt.
Also gave few Lindens to the Virginia Tech memorial, because the SL fundraiser was run by VT professor. He was disclosing contacts and also it was Tax deductible.(It is a good indication of the fund raiser is legitimate. Because they have to report to IRS)


All others? I declined to participate. There is no way to check the person who is running the events and There is no way to check the bank accounts.
For that matter, they can donate 10$ to the real charity and pocket 500$ to themselves.

How would you know?
Same reason. I don't donate to the *so called help the homeless*, door to door. They are just the form of panhandling.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Educate yourself to make sure your money was really for the good use you are intended for them to.
It is irresponsible to neglect that *homework* and give out blindly, so you feel better about yourself for the day...



*******
What have we learned about SL so far ?

1. There are freeloaders in SL.
2. There are liars in SL.
3.There are con artists in SL.

list goes on and on..

The moral of the story is,

You can't trust any anonymous pixelated av in SL.

No comments:

Post a Comment