Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why I wouldn't waste money on SL sim...

*Fine Print n disclaimer n shit**** THIS IS JUST A RANT BY PIXELATED AVATAR IN VIRTUAL WORLD. FREDERIC PREVOST DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY ON YOUR RL MATTERS, FINANCIAL OR OTHERWISE. READ WITH YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Some of you might have heard me saying I may acquire sim in SL... well, I am able to, however that would be very unlikely.

Here is why.

Because I would rather have 50000 $ in ten years, instead of whatever the price of sim in a server owned by LL... (You do not own shit in second life. This is a fact. LL own the servers and you are renting the 0 and 1's. )

If you have 1000 $ sitting in your checking account that you do not foresee any needs in near future, you would open retirement savings account or if you are already maxing out tax free savings account, open any *compound interest earning account*.

This *model savings plan* 's initial deposit will be 1000$ , same as setting up sim in SL
Monthly contribution will be 300$, same as the monthly tier for private sim.

*****I do not see myself playing SL in ten years, but some are already in here over 5 years, so we just assume that we will be here in ten years...

So, you spend your money on private island.

I, make a same amount of money into tax free retirement savings account.
The products I selected should earn average of 10% but just for the numbers sake, I will come up with 10%, 8% and 5% interest rates.

Initial 1000$ with yearly contribution of 3600$, at interest rate 10%
After 5 years = 31250.99 $
After 10 years=64160.54 $

Interest rate of 8 %
After 5 years =29221.11 $
After 10 years=57103.45 $

Interest rate of 5%
After 5 years =26478.30
After 10 years =48231.69

Do you see yourself earning that much money from your SL sim?
If you do, by all means, please.

I know that the most of you have well more than 25 years to invest, so I give you the figures after 20 and 25years on the same contribution amount. (It will likely that your income will grow and you may be able to contribute more, but to make the comparison easier, we just stick it to 1000$ initial deposit and 300$ monthly contribution for next 25 years.

Interest rates 5 %
After 20 years = 135163.96 $
After 25 182134.20 $

*I'm telling you, this is a very conservative figure for typical investment products.

Interest 8 %
After 20 =200443.35 $
After 25 =292648.09 $


Interest 10%
After 20 =263530.49
After 25 =410106.97

***********************

Second life is not an investment vehicle nor even business platform.
As you can see, even the conservative savings plan would get you that much wealth for the same amount of money.

If I want to invest *my money* to make more money... I will put it in RL, not my lame Second Life.

Now you know why I really don't give a shit about SL.

******************************************************
As I said before, if you are self sufficient in SL, good for you. Take the earnings out and invest. In RL.

No comments:

Post a Comment